Newforma Konekt for Navisworks allows you to raise Newforma Konekt issues from Navisworks. These issues can then be retrieved and resolved in authoring platforms like Revit for quick resolution.
This tutorial is aimed at BIM coordinators and coordination leads who want to learn how to get started with Newforma Konekt for Navisworks.
Before you begin this tutorial, we invite you register for our Issue Coordination live training session.
What you'll need
- A Newforma Konekt account (see Create an Account).
- Access to a hub, and a project that is ready to receive issues (see Project Setup Checklist).
- Newforma Konekt add-in for Navisworks installed.
- Shared coordinates from Revit (see Export NWC Files from Revit).
Step 1 - Open Newforma Konekt from Navisworks
To open Newforma Konekt, follow these steps:
- In Navisworks, open the desired model.
- In the ribbon, click Newforma Konekt tab > Open Newforma Konekt.
- In the Newforma Konekt panel, click Sign In, then from the browser tab that opens, enter your credentials and click Sign In.
- Back in Navisworks, select a hub and a project.
Keep in mind that it is possible to select the wrong project and display the issues from the inappropriate project.
Step 2 - Create issues
You can create issues using one of the following methods.
- Localize issue allows to create an issue from a specific location in your 3D models and 2D sheets (see Localize an Issue - Add-ins).
- Create issue allows to create an issue from a camera position or from a selection of elements in a 3D view (see Create an Issue - Add-ins).
- Views to Issues allows to turn saved viewpoints into issues (see Views to Issues).
- Clashes to Issues allows convert clashes to issues (see Clashes to Issues and Best Practices When Publishing Navisworks Clashes to Newforma Konekt).
Create issue and Views to issues are considered the manual creation process. The issues created like this need to be manually closed. To update the status of multiple resolved issues, the Multi edit feature can be particularly useful.
The Clashes to issues command connects Newforma Konekt to the Navisworks Clash Detective. Before using this command, once you've run your clash tests, group your clashes using the Newforma Konekt clash grouping tool.
After the publication, you can synchronize your clashes back and forth, from Newforma Konekt to Navisworks and from Navisworks to Newforma Konekt. As a recommended workflow we suggest you try and go one way (from Navisworks to Newforma Konekt) to reduce the risk of mistakes.
Regardless of the 3 methods mentioned above, when an issue is created, Newforma Konekt records the location of the camera and you can either show or hide pinpoints.
Localize issue allows to create an issue from a specific location. You can also add another location by clicking on the three dots at the end of the issue name (see Manage Viewpoints).
Step 3 - Retrieve and edit issues
The in-context issue list allows for quick resolution directly in the authoring software using Newforma Konekt’s add-ins. Here are a few things you might want to try, along with relevant documentation links:
- View in Model
- Edit an Issue
- Add Attachments
- Isolate Elements
- Manage Viewpoints
- Filter Issues
- Multi Edit
Step 4 - Define Newforma Konekt settings
Use the Newforma Konekt - Navisworks settings dialog to set options for the View in model feature, pinpoints and view state, and clash group publication (see Define Newforma Konekt Settings for Navisworks).
To access the settings, proceed as follows:
- In the Navisworks ribbon, click Newforma Konekt tab > Settings.
- In the Navigation tab, enable the following options:
- Show / Hide saved elements - If you have hidden objects while creating an issue, Newforma Konekt will hide those issues when you are retrieving it.
- Force section box around related elements - This will automatically place a section box around the extents of your selected element(s).
- In the Display tab, enable the Save view state with viewpoint option to determine whether hidden elements and section boxes / clipping planes are kept when creating or updating a viewpoint.
- When you are finished, click on Save.
Congratulations! You now know how to pull issues out of the Navisworks environment and send them directly to Newforma Konekt.
- Watch our webinar Newforma Konekt & Navisworks: Get the Answers to your Questions.
- Read our blog post From confusion to collaboration: My journey through the evolution of BIM coordination.